Skip to main content

Sunday Extra...


Comments

T. W. said…
Rome is burning & it’s going to get worse.

Even an ostrich can see this.
Chick'sOpinion said…
But unlike Trump.....at least Roman Emperors were good to their people...... Any people, who came to Rome. To live permanently ....from other places.

I don't know if it was the same under all the Roman Emperors. But generally, regardless of where you came from. Rome made you a citizen.
Very easily.

And you were then instantly a Roman.

Not Irish
Not Latino
Not Mexican
Not Egyptian
Not North African

They didn't have migrant groups like we have today.

And people were proud to be Roman.

And the moment you became a Roman. You were entitled to a certain amount of corn and wheat. Once a week.

For free.

Even freed Slaves chose to stay on in Rome.

The living was good in ancient Rome. Contrary to popular belief.
Even for the poor.

Why were Roman Emperors keen to make everyone a Roman Citizen?

Because of population growth.

People in Italy ...Rome regularly died of Malaria.

Young and old.

Just like the CoronaVirus today in a way, I guess.

But not nearly as devastating.
T. W. said…
Trump isn’t the only one fiddling around.



Drake Is Avoiding Coronavirus By Self-isolating On New JUMBO JET.


EXCERPT


While most of us regular people are forced to stay at home during the quarantine, Drake on the other hand has other options. The rapper just revealed to his social media followers that he continues to fly across the country - while still self-quarantining.

That's because Drake owns a private jet that's bigger than most people's entire house.

Last year Drake revealed that he bought a new private jet. And it wasn't just any old jet - it was the flex to end all flexes - a custom 737 jumbo jet.



https://mtonews.com/drake-is-avoiding-coronavirus-by-self-isolating-on-his-jumbo-jet
T. W. said…
Amazon owes me money.


Data shows Amazon raised prices during pandemic alongside sellers accused of price gouging

Company has removed 3,900 sellers for violations


https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local-news/i-team-investigates/data-shows-amazon-raised-prices-during-pandemic-alongside-sellers-accused-of-price-gouging
T. W. said…
Postal Service forced to keep working despite shortages of cash and protection


https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/28/politics/usps-working-coronavirus/index.html
T. W. said…
Chick’sOpinion

You forgot about Rome using slaves & Christian citizens as human torches & bait for animals for the people’s amusement.
T. W. said…
This is out of touch:



NYU Tisch dean is slammed for sending students a video of herself dancing to REM's 'Losing My Religion' when they demanded their $58,000 tuition money back after classes were cancelled




https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8165185/NYU-dean-slammed-sending-students-video-dancing-denying-tuition-refunds.html
Chick'sOpinion said…
TW

I didn't forget about them.

But it's a fact as I mentioned before.... Alot of Romans in ancient Rome freed their slaves....eventually. Not murdered them.

And once you were a freed slave you were free to become a Roman citizen. With all the rights of all other Romans.

Freed slaves loved Rome so much. They did not return to their countries of origin.

From what I have read. It's unsurprising to me that the Romans did what they did to Christians.

Not that I agree with it.

Unsurprising....Because there was a definate Roman way of life. And things that were a complete departure from it. Were not tolerated.
Because Romans had their own beliefs.
They believed in Gods.

The persecution of Christians was in fact localised too. Local communities cracking down on it.
Because they just didn't like it.

But as you probably know...Christianity was eventually legalised in Ancient Rome.

You have look at the persecution of Christians in Ancient Rome in a historical way I guess.

For a start. There was no way Caesar or any other Roman Emperor was going to allow a fringe group calling themselves Christians. Was going to be allowed to defy Caesar's authority.

And loyalty to the Emperors or state was the one thing Romans had obligation to.

Romans had their own Feast Days and Festivals too.... with their Gods too.
Which they seem to have enjoyed.

Feast Days and Festivals which, as you know ....the Christians refused to join in with.

The scenes of the murder of people the Romans considered undesirables. At their amphitheaters. And the colosseum.... were the extreme side. Of Roman life.

But generally. Romans were not that extreme. In ordinary life.
Why?
Cause they were well fed. Had a good legal system. Had housing. And were happy.

No. The Romans had a good lifestyle.
But.
You had to get a Roman Identity Card to benefit from it though.

Or call it a passport.

In alot of ways. It was just like Citizenship laws today.

Today in Australia you have to swear an allegiance to Australia for the right to Australian citizenship.

If you do things to call into question your allegiance to Australia. You can lose your Citizenship.

And I don't doubt America has the same expectations. For American Citizenship.

Is it fair?

Well depends how you view your rights.
Chick'sOpinion said…
TW

I do think the vibes of the ugly things that happened in Rome are still there.

Remember I mentioned to you I felt them when in Rome.

I couldn't get away from the Colosseum quick enough.

There is a famous book. Called The Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire.

I'd love to read it. Though I've heard it's heavy. A few volumes.

But maybe things got far more ugly for Rome. When they declined and fell. And started to lose all the countries they owned and governed in their 'Roman empire'

And....the Barbarians invaded their Roman empires.

I've never liked Barbarians. In any context.

And unfortunately for me.... alot of Australians go to great lengths to emulate them.

The supermarket battles we've seen here lately. For food etc has demonstated it perfectly.

Dead set Barbarians.
T. W. said…
Rome didn’t like Christians because the Caesar was considered a god. The Christians refused to worship the Ceasar. That is the true source of the persecution.

It was not localized.

Rome tolerated any religion that did not defy the state & considered the Ceasar to be a god.

Emancipated slaves stayed in Rome because (1) being a Roman citizen came with wonderful rights & privileges (2) Rome ruled the world so why go back to your home country if it was not part of the Empire.


As for the fall of The Empire, America is going through the same.

1) Rome’s infrastructure was expensive to maintain. America’s infrastructure is a joke.

2) Rome used lead pipes to carry the water. We know what lead poisoning can do. Look at America’s water pipe system. People in Flint, Michigan still don’t have clean water. In fact, most of America doesn’t.

3) Rome had a public aid system. The problem was that people figured out they could obtain more money going on welfare than from going to work. Things got so bad Rome passed a law making it illegal to quit your job. America can’t afford to care for the people who truly need public aid.

4) Rome had a high tax rate because it needed the funds to pay workers, to build & maintain infrastructure, and to finance public aid. Again, people figured out they were better off going on welfare than from earning a living & paying taxes.

5) Massive government corruption.

6) I’m aware of the Pax Romana. However, Rome did fight several wars on several fronts. You can’t win a war if you are fighting on more than one front. I think they were fighting Mongols & barbarians.

7) Rome had an illegal immigration problem.


That’s all I can remember.
Chick'sOpinion said…
TW

Very interesting. I had heard thst before ....that Romans ending up going on welfare instead of workinh. But forgot about it.
Will resd up about it.

Cause although i don't know a huge about amount on ancient Roman History. I enjoy the more ordinary things you can learn about it.

I'm not overly interested in the Roman leaders. And so called Roman Gods. Probably for same reason as you. They weren't very nice.

You make a very interesting and brilliant comparison between the decline of Ancient Rome and America.

Very apt.

Yes. Lead pipes or Lead in anything ...leads to nutty behaviour in people.

There is lead in the soil in a suburb in a town an hour and half drive from my place.

It was proved that the soil there from industry that used to be located there...is full of lead.

They worked out. The amount of delinquent and violent behaviour of kids who grew up right near that industrial site during the 1970's was far far higher than anywhere in the state.

And yet.

They did the studies. After they demolished the industry there. But insanely...put in new roads. And built new houses on the site, last year.

So voila! A new generation a kids will get lead poisoning. And develop high delinquent and violent behaviour.

I drive past there all the time.
And it makes me feel sad.
Especially when I know that it's majority young 30 somethings with kids will be the ones buying and building the houses. 'new build' houses in Australia are mainly bought by the young.

Alot of the kids from the 70's who lived near that site ended up in jail.

Mmmmm. I was aware that the U.S had a problem with affordability to repair infrastructure. I watched a doco on it during the Obama period.

I had hoped that since then. Alot in the U.S had finally been repaired.

The doco made me sad. To see the state of U.S bridges... freeways etc.

From someone who considers themselves a survivor of the 2018 collapse of the Morandi Bridge or Ponte Morandi in Genoa, Italy. As it was known.

Because I went over that bridge exactly 2 weeks before it collapsed in Genoa.

And as I've mentioned before. It shook when we went over it. Thats a fact.

I can honestly say I've become fanatical about repairs for bridges.

And I also wonder why I was spared.

I will ask God.
Chick'sOpinion said…
TW

I will look into the Pax Romana.

I've never heard of it.

This intrigues me.
Chick'sOpinion said…
Ahhh the Pax Romana appears to be a 200 years of peace without too much War and basically peace. In ancient Roman times.....under the leader, Augustus.

Pax means Peace in Roman.

So is this why Angelina Jolie named her adopted son Pax?

Looks like it.
T. W. said…
Chick'sOpinion

I'm glad you did not die on that bridge.

Trump has done some good things. We got some federal grants to help repair and/or build new infrastructure. I can't speak for all of the US.

My state got federal grants. My hometown received some of that money & got some state grants as well. The city could use the money anyway they wanted, we didn't have to do anything with infrastructure.

I don't want to reveal where I live so I will be vague. My town owed a massive debt that goes back maybe 40 years. The town passed the cost on to the residents. The residents wanted the grant money to be used to pay the debt in full. This makes sense, especially because the city would still have millions of dollars left over.

Guess what.

The city decided to "repair" roads and bridges. I also see farmland being destroyed. I assume the city is doing something with the roads, sewer systems, etc. Who knows?

The roads that were "repaired" are bumpy, too narrow, and too twisty. Driving over the bridges is scary, especially since a major river runs through the town. Traffic jams are more frequent in certain areas.

Now here's the sad part. The black, uh, I meant the less affluent side of town has not received any benefit of any kind as a result. The roads that were fixed on the white, uh, I meant the wealthy part of town have new traffic patterns. A lot of people depend on the bus here and the new traffic pattern makes it more difficult for them to get to and from work, medical appointments, etc.

Every time we get new businesses here they go to the white, I meant more affluent part of town. They are paying more taxes but they say the infrastructure in the other parts of town are not conducive to business.

I'm disgusted right now.
Chick'sOpinion said…
TW

That is a disgusting state of affairs in your city.
If the local councils tried that shit here.

Black AND white people would refuse to pay rates.

What really grinds my gears when I drive to Sydney though.

Is if I have to use Lane Cove Tunnel, Cross City Tunnel. Or the Harbour Tunnel.
That goes under Sydney Harbour water...it costs me Toll fees.

It's only a few dollars. But it pisses me off. Because Australians have been payin off the construction of those tunnels for bloody years.

Surely it's paid for by now.

And anyway. Why are Australians payin long term for those tunnels in Sydney? And a few others there. In the first place.

The amount of money the city of Sydney gets in the very expensive rates would have easily covered the costs of the constuction. Or money from the Dept Of Main Roads New South Wales. Our state.

No. Call me paranoid. But I'm sure that money.... toll fees for these tunnels.... is being channelled into someone's or a group of people's bank accounts.

For a start..in particular, the Sydney Cross City Tunnel. The first contractors building that, went broke. Cross City Tunnel has always been in private ownership, Transurban eventually bought it.

But Australians are paying them for it.

The only good news is. Once it's finally paid for. And that's a dodgy undetermined period of time. The Cross City Tunnel reverts to public ownership.

So it should.

What really doesn't surprise me is. The original finance to build the stupid tunnel. Which isn't very good or effective by the way. Was partly financed by the Chinese.

But surprise surprise.... we know that the Chinese are good at financing Infrastructure. Cause they are building all over Africa.

Anyway, I guess TW, the bright side is.... Australia doesn't have an ageing infrastructure problem, like the U.S. And we don't nornally have any financial restraints in maintaining it.
And we set the bar high in maintaining infrastructure.

So I'm good, driving over Australian Bridges and viaducts. But definately not in Italy.

But I've got my suspicions sky high about the E-Toll fees for Sydney inner city tunnels.

As we say in Australia.

I think 'It's a f..cken rort'
T. W. said…
Chick’sOpinion

Toll roads make no sense to me either. Part of the tax money collected from gasoline sales is supposed to go towards road creation & upkeep.

You know certain people & companies get the government contracts. Every. Single. Time.

Popular posts from this blog

Alexandra Grant. More lies? Did she forget she married another person 10 years ago... & is still married... UPDATE...

  I had a dream about Alexandra Grant. (Which in it's self is disturbing)   This is what I saw in the dream.   I SAW...   Alexandra Grant   is married. Not to Keanu Reeves.  T he marriage took place around 9/10 years ago on the  East coast of America.  (Not New York City)   I Saw She was in a  very close relationship with this  "Person" I See she was paid to do this... The person she is married to is of dubious character...   This person has been  "Away"  for quite a while...    (If you know what I mean)   This person is threatening to return..   She will...   To expose the marriage & other criminal behaviors  they both had a part in.    As I write this.   Keanu Reeves & his team.  Do not know of this.    Alexandra,  knows is still legally married. Has her head in the sand. Hoping it will go away...   STAY TUNED...    MORE TO COME...  

Morning everyone...

 

HRH King Charles III

Sending our  Thoughts & Prayers. 🙏🏻   To King Charles & his family. For a speedy recovery. At this challenging time.   *** I have done many readings  on King Charles & The Royals  in the past. On my Blog & on my You Tube. I will not be re-posting them here.